Scottsdale Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyers in Scottsdale
Recent data from the Arizona Department of Transportation show alarming statistics for motorcycle accidents here in Arizona in 2020. 2,676 crashes involving motorcycles represented 20.29 percent of all vehicle accidents in Arizona during that year. When it came to fatalities, the figures were even more somber. Fatal motorcycle crashes represented 33.33 percent of all traffic fatalities in the state. National statistics may sum it up best. If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries and damages. Seek help from a Scottsdale motorcycle accident lawyer.
According to a report by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, while only 20 percent of automobile accidents result in injuries and fatalities, that figure jumps to a staggering 80 percent for motorcycle accidents.
The Bias Against Motorcyclists
Unfortunately, as a motorcyclist, you may be coming up against an insurance industry that has historically reflected a resounding bias against bikers. This makes it difficult for the injured motorcyclist to get fairly compensated after an accident. Consequently, you should never try to negotiate a settlement for a motorcycle accident without first consulting with an experienced Scottsdale motorcycle accident lawyer.
At The Skiver Bradley Law Firm we have dedicated our careers to injured victims and their families. Motorcycle accidents can be devastating, leaving victims not only trying to recover from life-altering injuries but also fighting against the insurance industry that should be protecting them.
How Motorcycle Accidents and Car Accidents Differ
We all know the obvious: that a motorcycle is far different from a passenger vehicle. But those differences can become particularly tragic in the case of an accident. Because the rider doesn’t have the protection of a metal frame, seatbelts, and airbags that drivers and passengers of cars do, a motorcyclist will often suffer far more serious injuries even in a low-speed collision.
Motorcycle collisions can result in injuries from the most minor to catastrophic and disabling, including
- Road rash, cuts, and abrasion
- Severe burns and scarring
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Internal organ damage and internal bleeding
- Neck and back injuries
Due to its lightweight, smaller stature, and its reliance on balance, and two limited points of road traction, a motorcycle can easily go unnoticed and get thrown off balance by another vehicle. This makes a motorcycle especially vulnerable to
- Left-hand turns by other drivers — according to the NHTSA, left-hand turns are one of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents on our roads today.
- Unsafe lane changes by other drivers — caused by the careless disregard of other drivers in checking their surroundings and blind spots
- Speeding — vehicles moving at high speeds reduce driver reaction ability and time. The higher the speed, the greater the impact of an accident.
- Impaired or distracted driving — drug or alcohol impairment or driver distraction inhibits a driver’s ability to react to situations around him or her
- Sudden stops — when either a motorcycle or an automobile needs to make a sudden stop, a motorcyclist is particularly vulnerable
- Lane-splitting — although this is an illegal maneuver in Arizona, we still see bikers practicing lane-splitting, often to their own detriment
- Road hazards and dangerous conditions — improperly maintained pavement, potholes, road debris, and lack of hazard signage can cause a biker to lose control
- Inclement weather — bad weather can cut down on visibility for any driver but can be particularly problematic for a biker.
In most cases, a motorcycle accident is caused by the negligence of another driver. Proving negligence can be complicated, especially when it comes to motorcycle accidents. You shouldn’t navigate this on your own.
Contact Us A Scottsdale Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, you owe it to yourself to get the advice of a legal expert. The skilled Scottsdale motorcycle accident lawyers at The Skiver Bradley Law Firm will go over the facts of your claim and advise you of your options. Contact us to set up a free consultation. You never pay legal fees until we recover compensation on your behalf.